Who we are
Top Kids is a leading charity helping orphan children in Belarus, registered in England and Wales [Registered Charity Number 1175282]. We are also a Charitable Incorporated Organisation.
Data Protection Office
4 Windsor Road,
UK, TQ1 1TD
Top Kids is committed to respecting your privacy and ensuring the personal information you have entrusted to us is held securely and processed in accordance with all applicable data protection and privacy laws.
In particular, we want you to know that Top Kids is not in the business of selling, renting or trading information about you.
How we collect personal information
We collect personal information in the following ways:
Directly from you when you:
- Make a generous donation to hope make a difference to orphan children;
- Sign up to join and become part of our incredible family of supporters;
- Register to take part in one of our visits or events;
- Request for resources to share about Top Kids;
- Contact us with an enquiry;
- Complete a survey;
- Are a church leader and/or have a key role in a church working in partnership with Top Kids.
When visitors leave comments on the site Top Kids may collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
Top Kids may occasionally obtain IP addresses from users depending upon how you access our website. IP addresses, browser and session information may be used for various purposes, including to:
- Diagnose and prevent service or technology problems reported by our users or engineers that are associated with the IP addresses controlled by a specific web company or ISP.
- Estimate the total number of users visiting thisisonechurch.com from specific geographical regions.
- Monitor and prevent fraud and abuse.
If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
If you have an account and you log in to this site, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
How to manage your cookie settings
Many web browsers such as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari, will allow some control over cookies through their settings. To manage your cookie settings, please refer to your browser software. For more information about cookies and how to delete them, visit www.aboutcookies.org or www.allaboutcookies.org
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Top Kids use Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting to analyse how visitors to our website use it and so that we can make it useful and relevant. You can opt out of interest-based ads from Google by clicking here and following the directions on that page.
Personal information we collect
- Personal identifiers such as your title, name and year of birth;
- Contact details including postal address, post code, email and telephone number;
- Financial information such as your bank details;
- Whether you are a UK tax payer;
- Records of your contact with us.
Special categories data
Under data protection law, some personal information is recognised as ‘special categories data’. This includes, but is not limited to, information which reveals your religious beliefs, health issues, race or ethnic origin.
Top Kids is a Christ-centred organisation committed to preserving its Christian ethos. Where necessary and consented to, we may collect details about your church affiliations and personal faith. Additionally, we collect details about any health concerns or disability to make the necessary arrangements for travel overseas or where you have disclosed this, so we can meet any additional customer service requirements.
Top Kids will always treat any special categories data we process with greater care and process the information in accordance with all applicable data protection laws.
Why we collect your personal information
- To process monthly sponsorship payment and any other donations;
- To reclaim tax on Gift Aid donations, if applicable;
- To verify that you are over 18 and if not, obtain permission from your parent/guardian to process your information or accept any regular donations;
- To enable us to take greater care when engaging with our older supporters;
- When you visit our website, we may gather information about which pages you visit to help us improve and provide you with the best service;
- To determine and improve the effectiveness of our website and marketing campaigns;
- To organise and coordinate events;
- To create and steward effective partnerships with UK Churches and with Top Kids connections;
- To keep you informed about our work;
- To enable us to contact you with relevant and the most appropriate information;
- To manage and coordinate our volunteers;
- For compliance with employment law and other statutory requirements.
Legal basis for processing your personal information
Top Kids will rely on the following legal bases to process your personal information:
1. Legitimate Interest
We will process your information for a purpose you would reasonably expect. We will have pre-determined that it is necessary to process your information for this purpose and balanced this with your rights and interests. For example, when you become a donor, we use your name and contact details to administrate the donation experience.
We give you the choice and control over our processing activities where relevant. For example, we ask for your permission to send you marketing information by email or post.
3. Legal Obligation
In some cases, we are required to process your personal information where there is a legal requirement. Additionally, we process your name, house name or number, post code and donation history for Gift Aid purposes as required by HMRC.
Credit / debit card payment information
When you make a donation to us online Top Kids ensures that this is done securely and in accordance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard. All credit or debit card details are entered directly into the CAF service and never recorded or stored in any of our systems on completion of your transaction. Remember; don’t send an email with any credit or debit card details.
We love sharing news about how your support is changing the lives of children, families and communities. This includes sending you information about our work, news, appeals, campaigns, events, information on volunteering and prayer requests.
Email and text marketing:
We will ask for your permission to contact you by email or text for marketing purposes.
From time to time we may send you information about our work unless you have told us you would prefer not to receive this information by post. If you have registered with the Mail Preference Service (MPS), we will only send you marketing communication by post if you have given us permission to do so.
We may call to update you on the vital work we are doing. If you have registered your number with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS), we will only make marketing calls to you if you have given us permission to do so.
Top Kids is committed to respecting your choice to receive marketing information. You can update your permission and contact preferences at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who we share your information with
Top Kids will only share personal information which is either consented to, necessary to fulfil the donation experience or to coordinate visits to see us.
We may also share your personal information with trusted suppliers where it is necessary to provide products you have requested from us or where they are contracted to develop or maintain our systems.
We monitor information security compliance and have written contracts which obligate our partners or suppliers to process your personal information only on our instructions and in accordance with applicable data protection and privacy laws.
Top Kids may be under duty to disclose your personal information where required in order to comply with any legal obligation.
- We may share your personal information to respond to subpoenas, court orders, or legal process, to establish or exercise our legal rights or, defend against legal claims and if in our judgment in such circumstances disclosure is required or appropriate;
How long we retain your data
Top Kids will only keep your personal information for the period it is required and in accordance with our data retention schedule. For example, for accounting purposes and to administer Gift Aid declarations we keep a record of your name, house name or number, post code, donations history and Gift Aid declaration for seven years.
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognise and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
What information rights and choices
Under data protection law, you have the right:
- To request to obtain copies of the personal information Top Kids holds about you. You can make a request verbally or in writing. If you make you request verbally, we will ask that you also follow up in writing so that we can have a record of your request;
- To correct or update your personal information processed by Top Kids which you think is inaccurate or incomplete;
- To ask Top Kids to erase your personal information in certain circumstances;
- To ask Top Kids to restrict or limit the way we use your personal information;
- To object to the use of your personal information in certain circumstances where Top Kids has no legitimate reason for continued use;
- To object to the use of your personal information for marketing purposes;
- To ask Top Kids to transfer the information you have given us from one organisation to another or give it to you.
The Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations (PECR) gives you the right:
- To choose whether or not to receive marketing communication from us by email, text or telephone;
- To know about the cookies Top Kids uses, so that you can decide whether to give us permission to store a cookie on your device.
For more information about your information rights visit www.ico.org.uk
Confidentiality and Security
No data transmissions over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
Consequently, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission, we make efforts to ensure security on our systems.
We use physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect personal information about you.
In certain areas, Top Kids may use industry-standard SSL-encryption to protect data transmissions. However, please note that this is not a guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed by breach of such firewalls and secure server software. If Top Kids learns of a security systems breach we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. By using this website or providing personal information to us you agree that we can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy and administrative issues relating to your use of this site.
Top Kids may post a notice on our website if a security breach occurs. If this happens, you will need a web browser enabling you to view the Top Kids website. Top Kids may also send an email to you at the email address you have provided to us in these circumstances. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing. To receive free written notice of a security breach (or to withdraw your consent from receiving electronic notice) you should notify us using the “contact us” pages.
Top Kids will review our privacy notice regularly. The terms of this notice may be updated at any time for example, in the event of changes in law and how we operate. Please do check our website from time to time. If there are any significant changes in the way we process your personal information, we will provide a prominent notice on our website or send a notification. This notice was last updated in May 2018.
Thank you from everyone at Top Kids for your amazing support.